In just a few short weeks we will be gathering with friends and family to celebrate Thanksgiving. With that being said, you might be staying in Denver for the holiday and might have a number of travelers heading to your home for the big turkey-eating day. If you are having a big gathering for the holiday, it probably means you will be having a few extra people spending the weekend at your house and you of course want to be the host with the most! We have compiled a list of fun things to do around the city after you have stuffed yourself full and need to get out for some exercise and adventures:
1. Denver Christkndl Market – Nov. 18th – Dec. 23rd at Skyline Park – This one-of-a-kind market includes vendors from Ukraine, Ireland, Germany and many other countries (along with many talented local artists). Each of these vendors offers high-quality gifts and there will also be plenty of delicious food to keep you full as you shop.
2. Mile High United Way Turkey Trot – Nov. 24th at Wash Park – After having a delicious Thanksgiving meal, head over to Wash Park for the Mile High United’s 43rd annual Turkey Trot. The four-mile race and quarter-family fun run is one of the favorite Thanksgiving Day weekend activities with a little over 10,000 participants lacing up their running shoes.
3. Blossoms of Light – Nov. 25th – Jan. 1st – Denver Botanic Gardens – The Botanic Gardens in the winter is quite a sight for anyone to see. With over one million colorful lights draped in elegant designs throughout the whole garden, you will see why this is a place many families go to every year.
4. Downtown Denver Grand Illumination – Nov. 25th – Downtown Denver – At 6:00pm on Friday, Nov. 25th, the holiday lights will be turned on from Denver Union Station to the City and County Building at Civic Center Park.
5. A Christmas Carol – Nov. 25th – Dec. 24th – Denver Center for the Performing Arts – This is one of those family holiday tradition events, like going to see the Nutcracker ballet every year. This loved Christmas story about what is important in life is a great place to take the family, especially after the Thanksgiving holiday.
6. Extreme Mammals – Sept. 23rd – Jan. 8th – Denver Museum of Science & Nature – If you have some mammal lovers in your family, especially the kiddos, this is a great exhibit the whole family can enjoy.
7. Star Wars and the Power of Costume – Nov. 13th – Apr. 2nd – Denver Art Museum – Some people have a tradition of watching the whole Star Wars series over the Thanksgiving holiday or over the Christmas holiday. Either way, this exhibit at the DAM is one for all the force lovers in your family. See some of the costumes from the movies, including Leia’s famous gold bikini.
8. Southwest Rink at Skyline Park – Nov. 22nd – Feb. 14th – Skyline Park – Call me an old romantic but there’s something really lovely about lacing up some ice-skates and being able to skate in the middle of Downtown Denver. Located at 16 Street Mall and Arapahoe, this ice-skating rink is a great place to bring people of all ages to enjoy the lights and brights of the city.
To those of you traveling over the holiday, we wish you safe travels. To those of you hosting over the holidays, we have you have a great turnout and a delicious meal. From our family to yours, we want to take a second and say how thankful we are for you our amazing family, friends and clients. Have a blessed Thanksgi